Advocacy can support you to speak out, or speak out on your behalf, to ensure your views are heard and represented.
deafPLUS’ confidential Independent Advocacy Service works with individuals to:
- Speak up for themselves
- Understand their rights
- Make informed decisions
- Understand the consequences of their actions
- Know the right questions to ask
- Make a complaint
- Feel confident and have greater control of their lives
- Access information and services
- Providing advocacy support at meetings with other agencies
We will seek funding from your Local Authority or NHS to receive an Independent Advocacy Service from us. Our service is available to Deaf and hard of hearing people aged 16 or over who need an advocate to provide support with social services, NHS, court, prison service or if you have mental health issues and need support.
During a period of mental ill health it can be difficult to deal with issues that would usually be easy. For example, it can feel difficult and sometimes, intimidating, meeting with doctors, social workers, housing officers, solicitors or other service providers.
What can my Advocacy Worker do?
- Help you to be at the centre of your care and treatment.
- Support and help you to put your views across at mental health tribunals and meeting with other professionals.
- Get you the information you need in a way you can understand. This will ensure you are fully informed, understand your rights and are aware of your options/choices.
- Put you in touch with other organisations and sources of support & advice.
We are independent. Our only loyalty is to our service users. We stand alongside you and put you first. We are not part of National Health Service, the local authority or any other service providers.
- Contact you, as soon as they can, by email or text message.
- Talk to you to see if they can help you and, if so, arrange to meet you.
- Talk to you in person to get a full picture of the issues you have.
- Agree with you how Advocacy Service can help and what to expect from us.
- Ensure you know how to tell us your views about the service we’ve given you.