A one-to-one personalised support service for deaf, hard of hearing and deafblind people
YOUchoose is a consortium of partner agencies from around the UK (Action Deafness, deafPLUS, DeafCOG, Manchester Deaf Association and Gloucestershire Deaf Association) led by Action Deafness Community, a registered Care Quality
YOUchoose provides personalised, one to one support for deaf, hard of hearing and deafblind people through the provision of Personal Assistants (PAs). These Personal Assistants work alongside the client, to empower and enable them to
manage their independence within their own homes and out in the community.
YOUchoose services can be commissioned via:
• Adult Social Care direct payments or individual budgets
• Private funding
Our managers are highly qualified and experienced, assess the needs of the individual, and, in discussion with Adult Social Care and the client, agree a support plan.
• Are either Deaf or hard of hearing themselves or are hearing and deaf aware, many of whom have BSL Level 2 or above. This enables them to support clients through the communication method of their choice.
• All have enhanced DBS clearance to ensure the safety of all clients
• Receive ongoing regular supervision from experienced managers
• Receive regular training to continually enhance their skills
PA support can be provided:
• In the person’s own home
• In the community
• To access local activities in the community, e.g. swimming, gym, craft clubs, etc.
• To enhance life skills, confidence, mental health and well being
To encourage and assist clients to manage their lives more independently, and to exercise choice. YOUchoose puts the client in the driving seat, by choosing their own PA, when they want to meet and for how long. They also set their own goals.
We undertake to:
• Provide a truly user-led approach to personalised support
• Show compassion and care for each person’s unique sets of needs
• Respect each client’s language, culture, beliefs and aspirations
We assess clients to see what support is needed and make recommendations about which services can help. This information is used by service managers and commissioners when writing care plans and support plans.
We support clients who receive individual budgets and direct payments. We also support clients who pay for support privately. Details of the support is written in a support package. Social workers, commissioners and other professionals read the support package to make sure the clients get the support they need.
Personal Assistants (PAs) work for clients who need support. A PA helps a client become more independent by helping with
communication, living in the community and assisting with any personal issues.
WORKING WITH YOUchoose
We have a dedicated specialist team of PAs who enjoy supporting clients. If you are interested in becoming a PA, we can help you through the registration process and help you get the right experience. If you are interested, please contact us for more information.
Easy online referral:
Please have a look at our website: www.youchoosesupport.org.uk where you can fill in a referral form with all your details.
Alternatively please email, call or text us:
Your Service, the way you want it